Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hooligans give Danny a fright

MEETING the world’s football hooligans for a new TV series proved a scary experience for hard man actor Danny Dyer.

Danny, 29, who presents Bravo’s Real Football Factories International from Monday, says he was lucky to escape unscathed after meeting hooligans from Brazil, Italy, Holland and Argentina.

He told us: “In Brazil the director and film crew were on a bus with hooligan fans of Sao Paulo’s Palmeiras club and they came under gunfire from rival supporters of Botafogo.

“A car chased the bus and the crew had to crouch on the floor to avoid being shot and I was glad I wasn’t with them. That’s how serious they take football there – it was like a movie script!”

The series also gives some insight into the violence, which erupted at the Roma v Manchester United Champions League clash in April.

Danny attended the Rome derby between Roma and Lazio and he said: “I spent the first half with the Roma fans, then changed scarves and went into the Lazio end in the second half. The hate between the fans was pretty heavy.

“I also met Juventus fans called the Droogi, named after the gang in A Clockwork Orange and I didn’t get a very warm welcome as they hate the English because of the 39 Juventus fans who died at Heysel in 1985. It was scary.”

Danny also met up with Ajax and Feyenoord hooligans in Holland and he went on: “They didn’t want to talk to me but I was told that they like to use bombs – they make our hooligans sound tame.”

He also endured some hairy moments attending the Galatasary v Fenerbahce derby in Turkey. He commented: “It was very naughty there as the police let off tear gas and they were firing rubber bullets to control the crowd.”

During filming, Danny also met female hooligans in Argentina and Russia and he laughed: “They were actually very fit and pretty but they love fighting!”

And he continued: “I’m pleased with how the series has panned out as it’s got more of a journalistic slant.

"I’m pleased with what I have achieved and glad to have got away with it as I’m not a violent man but I did put myself in some frightening situations while making it.”

Last year West Ham fan Danny made The Real Football Factories about the history of UK hooliganism.

He confessed that the new series could be his football documentary swansong, as he wants to concentrate on spending time with his growing family.

Danny, whose girlfriend Joanne, gave birth to their second daughter Sunnie, three weeks ago, admitted: “No more football series - quite a few people advised me not to do this one but I had the baby on the way and I got paid quite a bit of money.

“I also got to see the world which was nice and I suppose I’m a kind of alternative Michael Palin!”

The actor, who also has a daughter Dani, 10, with Joanne, is currently taking a break after an exhausting spell, which has seen him make three major movies as well as TV appearances.

He starred in the violent thriller Outlaw with Sean Bean and Bob Hoskins; played Gillian Anderson’s lover in Straightheads; and he’s also in The All Together with The Office’s Martin Freeman.

He also guested on TV in Hotel Babylon and Skins earlier this year.

As for the future, apart from continuing to cheer on West Ham in the Premier League following the clubs’s survival, Danny might try his luck in Hollywood in the future.

He added: “The Americans want me to go out there and after a break I might be tempted to go out there for a few months.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home