Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cheryl's scary Red Nose ordeal

FEISTY Cheryl Cole found herself pushed to the limit when she took part in Comic Relief’s version of The Apprentice.

The Girls Aloud singer says walking into Sir Alan Sugar’s boardroom was more nerve-wracking than performing on stage with Girls Aloud in front of thousands.

The celeb Apprentices were split into boys and girls teams. Cheryl had to contend with bitching from her team mates while dodging the boys’ dirty tricks.

Cheryl joined Sun columnists Trinny Woodall and Karren Brady, actress Maureen Lipman and comic Jo Brand on the girls’ team.

They were pitted against a side made up of journalist Piers Morgan, TV’s Danny Baker, spin doctor Alastair Campbell, actor Ross Kemp and original Apprentice winner Tim Campbell. Tim was drafted in after movie star Rupert Everett walked out.

Sir Alan set the teams the task of running a celebrity funfair on London's South Bank.

They each had to raise as much money as possible from operating rides, serving food and flogging tickets to their rich mates. The team with the biggest takings at the end of the day won the task.

Cheryl says: “It was much worse than the nerves I get before I go on stage because I was completely outside my comfort zone. When I walked in on the first day I felt intimidated. I thought ‘What am I doing here with all these people, what the hell am I going to be expected to do?’ I knew it was important that we raised lots of money for Comic Relief so I felt a great sense of responsibility.”

Cheryl proved her worth when it came to meeting the challenge.

She persuaded pal Simon Cowell and her hubby Ashley to part with £25,000 each and roped in celebrity pals Take That and McFly to man attractions at the funfair.

She was highly impressed by her team mate Trinny, who clashed spectacularly with Piers Morgan.

He made her angry when he attempted to hold hostage a chef from top restaurant Cecconi’s who had gone to help the girls’ team. The pair came to blows as Trinny tried to wrestle the bemused chef from Piers’ grasp.

Furious Trinny ended up kneeing her cocky competitor in the privates.

Cheryl said: “Trinny is a very dominant personality, very strong minded. People think I am feisty but I seemed quiet by comparison.

“I was scared she might criticise my clothes but luckily I escaped.

“She was a pretty impressive negotiator and managed to get a friend of hers to pay £150,000 for a ticket for our funfair. I was speechless, this woman offered the money like it was nothing. People buy a house for that amount.

“With the likes of Piers on the boys’ team I thought we would stand no chance so I just started ringing everyone I knew.

“The rest of the band came to help me. I was so grateful when the girls arrived that I threw my arms around them.

“Ashley also came down to help. I got Simon Cowell and Chris Evans along too so I was pretty pleased with myself.”

But with such big personalities involved in the show, Cheryl admits sparks flew during filming.

She says: “There was bitching among the girls, it wasn’t all smooth sailing.”

The gloves were off in the boys’ camp too, with Rupert walking out of the four-day show after Day One. Cheryl says: “I don’t think he realised what he had got himself into. He looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights.”

Gorgeous Cheryl was careful not to use her feminine wiles to charm tough-talking Sir Alan, famous for his “You’re fired” catchphrase.

She says: “I was told it wouldn’t be a good idea to flutter my eyelashes at him so I deliberately avoided that as a tactic.

“Instead I just tried to be professional.” She has learned business skills from being hands-on shaping the career of the band.

Cheryl explains: “You have to be quite savvy in this business to avoid getting ripped off.”

Judging by this kind of straight talk, it is no surprise Cheryl hates being dubbed a WAG because of her footballer husband.

She says: “I find it frustrating. I have so much going on in my own life and career. I don’t want to be defined by who my husband is.”

But speaking of her husband, Ash dragged team mate John Terry along for a special bit of fair fun — featuring wet sponges and “queen of mean” Anne Robinson, which viewers will love.

“I know people think I am fiery but I think I’d be too diplomatic.

It has been rumoured that Cheryl is likely to be snapped up by Simon Cowell as a judge for his new show Britain’s Got Talent.

But Cheryl gives this story short shrift. The singer, who found fame herself on reality show Pop Stars: The Rivals, says: “I wouldn’t become a judge, I don’t think I would be qualified. Who am I to judge other people?

“I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of the criticism.

“I love Simon Cowell though, I think he has a good heart. And, like Alan Sugar, he really is a pussy cat.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home