Saturday, March 17, 2007

Beckham defends soccer mission in the US

London - David Beckham insists he's going to Major League Soccer to increase the game's popularity in the United States.

"I know it's never going to be as big as American football, basketball or baseball, but I believe I can help take it to a higher level," Beckham was quoted as saying in Friday's edition of Sport magazine.

And the 31-year-old midfielder indicated he still hasn't given up hope of a recall to the England squad.

"I'd walk back from the States to play for England again," Beckham said.

'I'm a fit person and a fit player'
The former England captain has spent a combined 15 years at two of Europe's biggest clubs, Manchester United and Real Madrid, and will join MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy in July.

Beckham said he was not put off by the experience of the North American Soccer League, which was unable to succeed despite having world-class players like Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and George Best. Beckham said the NASL, which lasted from 1968 to 1984, was based around one or two big teams and didn't have the stability that MLS has.

"Everything is geared towards the league as a whole growing and succeeding, and I think I can be a part of that," Beckham said of the MLS.

Beckham also denied he was on the decline as a player.

"I'm a fit person and a fit player," Beckham said. "I always have been, even now that people are saying I'm older and slower - but I've never been a quick player anyway."

Beckham also defended the quality of soccer in America.

"People are saying that the standard's really low in Major League Soccer, but it's not," Beckham said. "I've played against LA Galaxy for Real Madrid, and against other American teams, in pre-season. I'm not saying the football is at the same level as it is in La Liga or in the Premiership, but it's still very competitive."

After winning six Premier League titles and the Champions League with United, Beckham has not won any major title for Madrid. With 12 games left, Madrid is in fourth place in the Spanish league, five points behind leaders Barcelona.

"As long as I'm a Real Madrid player, I will remain 110 percent focused on winning something with and for Real Madrid," Beckham said. - Sapa-AP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home