Saturday, July 07, 2007

Eto'o wants racism walk-off

SAMUEL ETO'O has called on players to walk off the pitch if they face racist abuse.

The Barcelona striker, 26, is furious with UEFA's lack of action on racism.

And he believes he must make a stand for football's authorities to take notice of the problem.

Eto'o said: “Promises have been made for change - for sanctions to be enforced - but the first move needs to be made and it needs to be made by those who are being subjected to racism.

"Part of me hopes that one day someone will manage to walk off the pitch in protest.”

A recent England Under-21 clash was marred by Serbian supporters chanting racist taunts at defender Nedum Onuoha.

But Eto'o believes racism is not just an issue in football.

He thinks the general public have a role to play in clamping down on the problem.

Eto'o added: “If we experience this in football it means our society is rotten and that means we're in a dangerous situation.

"That's what we need to be fighting against. I think that football is a small thing, but society - just imagine!

“I am treated first and foremost as a footballer, as Samuel Eto'o, but away from the cameras a black man is suffering from racism and nobody cares.

"That's the problem."

Eto’o tried to walk off the pitch when he received abuse in a match with Real Zaragoza in February last year.

He could be seen saying "no more" but he was convinced to stay on by other players and Barca boss Frank Rijkaard.

He added: “I think people tried to shoot me down as if I was making too much of it.

"But the whole time I was just expressing how I was feeling, something that no one at that time could have felt.

“I think that education is the problem. It’s just ignorance, that's what it is.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home